Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Run Lola Run

I thought there were a lot of 'mythic' and fairy tale elements in the movie. One of the things I noticed was that in the beginning of the movie, the man asks 'Who are we? Where did we come from?' When I was in high school, I had a teacher who was very into myths, and he would always ask us 'Who are you? Where did you come from? Where are you going?'. In the first scenario, Lola's father tells her he is not her father. This ties in to the mysterious origins of many heroes, since she is now unsure of her parents.

One of the characters in the movie is a one-eyed man that they referred to as a cyclops. This is a mythical creature, and also ties into the ogre idea. In the first scenario, Lola passes the woman with the child, and we see that the woman had stolen the child. This reminded me of the The Ogre, and how Tiffauges steals the children for Kaltenborn.

The movie also had fairy tale qualities. Lola was able to repeat the story three times, as in fairy tales when things come in three. An example of this in Grimm's Tales is in The Master Thief, when the thief is given three tasks to prove his greatness. I also thought Lola's glass-shattering scream was almost magical, since she was able to stop time with it. It also seemed to work to her advantage when playing roulette, so that the ball landed on 20. And, of course, like a fairy tale, the movie had a happy ending. Manni was able to get the money to Ronnie, and Lola was left with a bag of 100,000 marks.

No comments:

Post a Comment