Monday, March 8, 2010

Don Quixote [Day 5]

1.

Quote Analysis

"Don Quixote was developing his arguments in such an orderly and lucid way that for the time being none of those listening to him could believe that he was a madman" (chapter xxxvii, pg 355)

and

"Those who'd been listening to him were again moved to pity on seeing that a man who seemed to have a good brain, and could argue clearly about everything he discussed, so totally lost his senses as soon as the talk turned to his detestable and damnable chivalry" (chapter xxxviii, pg 359)

These two quotes reiterate what I think is one of the most prominent themes of the story: is Don Quixote insane, or is he simply made his imagination his reality? I personally think that Don Quixote is living in an imaginary world. If he had lost his mind, as most people and characters in the story thought at first, then he would not have these moments of lucidity. However, in my gerontology class we are discussing dementia, and my teacher told us about a patient she had who at times would become completely lucid and realise that his mind was not what it used to be. However, it is highly unlikely that Don Quixote has 1. dementia and 2. thinks that he is insane. Insane people do not usually realise their insanity, and also, Don Quixote's personality (to me) does not appear to be that of a madman. I still uphold the idea that he has simply replaced reality for his imaginary world.

Analysis of Lela Zoraida

I thought the character of Lela Zoraida/Maria was a very interesting one. However, I feel like she wasn't entirely necessary to the story. I like Cervante's side stories, because they make the reading go by quickly, but I feel like it detracts in some way from the story of the 'ingenious hidalgo'. I think that the stories cause us to lose focus on Don Quixote's adventures and in that we forget what the story is really about. I think that perhaps Zoraida's 'multiple identities' speak about identity in 17th c. Spain and identity today. Knighthood was about being a good Christian (among other things), so it would make sense that Zoraida wants to convert to Christianity. Today, however, I think that people have multiple identities because we find it hard to identify with only one idea or culture. For example, I see myself as an Italian and Scottish/Welsh, because my grandparents are, but I also see myself as an American, a Catholic, etc. I think that we identify with what our families do/are, but we can't seem to settle on one identity. I think Zoraida has less agency than any of the other female characters in the text. I am probably biased, but I think Dorotea is the female character with the most agency. She is a well-educated woman, and also has a sense of humor. She plays along with Don Quixote's delusions, but not in a cruel or malicious way. I also think she is easiest to empathize with, because she was not born in to fortune and actually faced hardships (unlike Zoraida and Luscinda).

There is one more quote that I found very funny, and it is the following: "'All right then: if this here basin's a helmet, then this here pack-saddle must be a horse's caparisons, just as the gentleman said.' 'To me it looks like a pack-saddle,' said Don Quixote, 'but then I have already stated that this is an affair in which I shall not interfere'" (chapter xlv, pg 419). There is really no analysis for this quote, except that it relates to the theme of Don Quixote's madness. I just thought it was funny how he was so convinced that the bowl was a helmet, but knew the pack-saddle wasn't a caparison as if it were a common fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment