I don't particularly find Don Quixote to be as 'radical' a character as he is perceived to be. I have read parts of the story before, and it was always described by teachers to be about a 'madman' or someone who has fallen into insanity. I know that Cervantes refers to his character as a madman, but I don't think it is insanity that is driving Don Quixote. His thought process is comical, but not something that is particularly 'insane'.
"And so, by now quite insane, he conceived the strangest notion that ever took shape in a madman's head, considering it desirable and necessary, both for the increase of his honour and for the common good, to become a knight errant, and to travel about the world with his armour and his arms and his horse in search of adventures, and to practise all those activities that he knew from his books were practised by knights errant, redressing all kinds of grievances, and exposing himself to perils and dangers that he would overcome and thus gain eternal fame and renown" (27). I don't see this as radical in any way. Yes, I realise that it is a bit immature for a gentleman of 50 to want to embark on a journey. But it is clear that Don Quixote has reverted back to a state of childhood, and the innocence that comes along with it. He is innocent because he has pure intentions - he does not set out to kill people or pillage and plunder, but instead sets out to become famous by redressing wrongs. This idea is very childish, because as children we tend to have these grand ideas about how we are going to become famous and save the world. There is no harm in him polishing up his armour, making a cardboard helmet visor, and riding around on a rickety old hack. He isn't leaving behind a life of fortune and luxury in pursuit of some wild dream; he is further diving into a dreamworld of books and chivalric tradition.
I find it quite endearing how innocent Don Quixote is. I don't envision some withered, dusty old man when I read about him. He is vibrant and imaginative, in no ways old and withered. I think it is almost cute how it takes him four days to think of a name for his horse, because he wants it to be the greatest name ever. "He spent four days considering what name to give his nag; for (he told himself) it wasn't fitting that the horse of such a famous knight errant, and such a fine horse in its own right, too, shouldn't have some name of eminence; and so he tried to find one that would express both what it had been before it became a knight's horse and what it was now..." (28). He isn't just concerned about making himself the greatest knight, but is also concerned with making sure his horse and love interest are also of the greatest quality (at least in name).
However, there is one scene that I find to be a bit radical. When Don Quixote is keeping the vigil in the courtyard, two muleteers come out to give water to their horses. There is only one problem, and that is that Don Quixote's armour is in the water trough. He asks them, first, to not remove the armour - "Take care what you do, and touch it not, unless you wish to pay with your life for your temerity" (38). He has not yet made a statement as bold as this, let alone a threat, so it seems that it would not go anywhere and be an empty assertion of his 'power' as a knight. However, to prove his point when they do move his armour, "he dropped his leather shield, raised his lance with both hands, and dealt the muleteer so powerful a blow to the head that he fell on the ground in such a sorry state that had it been followed by another blow he wouldn't have needed a doctor to treat him" (39). This is a very rash action, and he proceeds to do it again to the second muleteer, this time splitting his skull into three pieces. The innkeeper tells the comrades of the fallen men not to worry because Don Quixote is a madman and will walk away from any charges. Regardless, this action was not like anything Don Quixote has done before, and I thought it was strange that he would act so rashly.
One thing I noticed about Don Quixote is that he, unlike Perceval, has somehow managed to follow in the true path of knighthood. "Once he'd made these preparations he decided not to wait any longer before putting his plans into action, encouraged by the need that he believed his delay was creating in the world: so great was his determination to redress grievances, right wrongs, correct injustices, rectify abuses and fulfill obligations" (30). Perceval, when he sets out on his knightly quest, only wants to do it for the fame and perceived glory that come with knighthood. He wants to be as beautiful as the 'angels' he saw in the forest, and wear armour and joust and fight. While Don Quixote wants the fame, I think his innocence keeps him on the right path of knighthood. I think he is able to see the true meaning of what it is to be a knight, and his intentions clearly mimic that.
No comments:
Post a Comment